Topics in the Context of Research
Content developed by Prof. Wendy Crone and Dr. Katie Cadwell, University of Wisconsin - Madison
The topics below address a number of issues important for the conduct of research. Short videos with accompanying slides and readings are provided.
- Research Publication (literature searches, reading journal articles, the peer-review process, writing scientific papers & proposals, citing your sources)
- Communication (communicating science to the public, treatment of data, slide presentations, poster presentations)
- Developing Your Research Career (undergraduate research opportunities, funding, societal roles, professional networking and communication, research ethics)
- In the Lab (the scientific method, mentoring relationships, lab safety, documenting research, intellectual property, diverse research teams)
Topics in Engineering Design
Content developed by Prof. Naomi Chesler, Dr. Katie Cadwell, and Prof. Wendy Crone, University of Wisconsin - Madison
The topics below address a variety of important factors in engineering design. Short videos with accompanying slides and readings are provided.
- Communication in Design (professional communication, working with clients, leadership & teams, progress reports, oral presentations, poster presentations)
- Design Considerations (design ethics, institutional review boards, animal welfare, FDA approval, human factors & ergonomics, global engineering)
- The Design Process (the design process, design lab notebooks, codes & standards, product design specifications)
- Patents & Literature (literature searches, reading a journal article, IP in design, IP agreements, patent applications)
Engineering Career Paths in Research and Design
The videos linked to below describe career path options for students interested in or with experience in engineering research and design. Short videos with accompanying slides are provided.
- Career Paths (academic research, national lab research, industry research and design, from engineering to medical school, biomedical engineering careers)